Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 17: The Poison of Complacency

"Complacency's a poison
Taken one drop at a time
Fools our hearts in thinking
That every thing's just fine"

Complacency:  A feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect or the like. 


You know how if you haven't seen someone for months or years and the have either gained or lost a bunch of weight? To you, the change is instantaneous but to them and usually those around them, the change is gradual... This is the perfect example of complacency. Sometimes we "don't know" (or at the very least, it is easier to "pretend" we don't know) that we are changing if it happens gradually. Sometimes on a physical level, sometimes mental/spiritual/emotional levels. Here's the thing. You can't change one thing without it affecting everything around it on some level. If you are complacent about your health, chances are it has already bled over into other areas of your life.

Take being a parent for example, you want to be a good Mom... You love you kids, but your health is in such poor shape that you just don't have the energy to stand your ground with them so you give in to them a lot more than you should and before you know it, your children are starting to feel out of control. So now your kids are starting to be affected by it too. Or your house is always messy because you are too tired to clean it, it is now affecting your home life.  Or you love your husband but you're either too tired or too insecure to make love...  and since intimacy is one of the strong foundations for a great marriage, your marriage is being affected by it too... Starting to get the picture?

Please trust me when I say I KNOW that if you are like me, that exhaustion is genuine, the thing is... It doesn't make it OK.   I hope like me, you are starting to see that it's not just "your" health because it affects those around you.  And with that knowledge comes those two words that I am having a love hate relationship with... Choice and Responsibility.  Are you going to do something with that knowledge or continue with your head stuck in the sand.  I know for me... until my tush is a lot smaller... that is the LAST thing I want sticking up in the air for the world to see.  :P

"For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them;"
Proverbs 1:32

I don't know about you... but OUCH! I certainly don't want to be considered a fool and I certainly don't want it to affect the people I love!!  Now, this absolutely does not apply only to people who are dealing with weight issues.  There are many areas and ways that we can be complacent in our lives, the key is to be AWARE and AVOID them. 

Thursday Challenge:  List in comments  below (or you can email me)one thing you are complacent about that you would like to change. 

2 comments: