Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 7: The Bitter Taste of Greed

So I got this brilliant idea... Every morning around 9AM I am allowed to eat a half of a grapefruit; so my, what seemed to be a bright, idea was to peel the grapefruit like an orange and eat it like one so that way I am getting more food!!  Yeah... No.  Have you ever tasted how bitter the skin of a grapefruit is?  Seriously... YUCK!  It was like mixing stomach acid with fruit, and was totally gross!!!  My greed got the better of me for sure!!  I plan on sticking to just eating it the good old fashioned way with a spoon and leaving the bitter where it belongs which is NOT IN MY MOUTH!

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I can say, for me personally, in life I sometimes almost always want more than is good for me.  Kinda how I ended up on this journey in the first place.  More more more more... is the manta I am working so hard at changing.  So how about this?  Less is MORE!  less poor choices, less making excuses, less procrastination, less beating myself up = More Energy, More Living & Loving Life, More Self-Confidence, More Smoking Smoldering Looks from Hubby (Can I get a "go there girl!").... that's the kind of more I want and am working to be addicted to!!! 

Let's make this clear, wanting to change and changing are two distinctly different things.  You have to put action on that "want" emotion to make it effective and in a world of instant gratification (again, how we ended up here in the first place) where we all want an instant fix, a quick way to get out of the messes we've gotten ourselves into; we give up way to easily.  Oh, did I say that out loud?  Sorry about that, but come on... admit with me, because deep down we know it's true.  And let me tell you, getting this way was a lot easier (and I won't lie... tastier) then it will be to get back to the old me.

That is how so much of life is.  A single night where a spouse decides to cheat can destroy a lifetime of marriage or a teenager making the decision to try that "drug" and they end up dead, or that single moment when someone decides to drive drunk and someone loses an innocent family member forever.  Life is filled with moments and those moments are filled with choices.  Do you reach for the bagel smothered in schmeer?  Or do you choose to eat an apple instead?  It's those solitary moments in life that define our futures. 

John 10:10 says that: "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly".  (ESV)

 I want, no I need  life more abundant... I want to have the energy to do all the things I am passionate about without feeling exhausted for days afterwards... I want to walk up a flight of stairs and not feel like it is a marathon!  I want to be me again... so I am taking another step.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment