Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 33: Reach and Pull


Today was rough for me - Started with a super busy stressful day - to someone moving my lunch and turning it so the juice from my shrimp went all over the rest of my food (Seriously... YUCK) to sitting on the couch with Shaun having him munch on Chips and Salsa and me with my water... I know, pathetic right?  Waaaaaaaaaaa - I just wanted to give in - I mean after all, it's just one little moment - really it's not going to make "that much" of a difference will it?  Well for me, that answer is YES - It will make a difference - it is usually that one single moment when the next moment becomes so much easier to take; and with each step toward "easy" I take a step further away from the me I want to be. 

Pastor Ben tells this story of his daughter when she was younger and how she first learned to swim; they told her to Reach and Pull... Reach and Pull.  He further tells how it was difficult at first - but she just kept reaching and pulling and then suddenly there she was... a little swimmer!  Trust me when I tell you that he tells the story with greater entertainment than I do; but the point I am trying to make is that it is that single idea, the spark of hope is what keeps us going. We don't have to be the Mark Spitz in Life's Olympics - we just have to keep reaching and pulling.  Keep trying, keep swimming. 


There is no magic fix, no magic pill (NO MATTER WHAT THE TV MAY TELL YOU) - there is only dedication, devotion to yourself and determination to keep going.  This is perhaps my biggest struggle to keep those three things in the forefront of my mind and to keep them balanced.  If I am being very transparent - I will tell you that I can be very spoiled in my thinking sometimes, and even at my age, I struggle with feeling both rebellious and sorry for myself.  I wish I didn't and I am actively working at changing this, but it is not easy at all.  There are good days and there are bad days so I focus on minutes rather than days.  And find my encouragement and victories where I can. 

As far as encouragement, look at little Nemo, gimpy fin and all he had a great adventure and changed the life of his father as well.  He believed he was destined for something bigger that the life he was living.  That there was so much more out there waiting for him.  Oh I know I am referencing a Disney Cartoon as an example but really doesn't it beautifully apply?  Shouldn't I have those same determinations and beliefs?  I too easily forget how important it is to hold on - To keep consistent and keep hauling my sorry self back into the gym - to keep making healthy choices - to keep pushing harder toward the goals I have set. 

So Go Nemo Go!!




1 comment: