Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 8: The treadmill from hell

I have been doing pretty good on walking consistently and doing my steps so I am advancing to using actual equipment.  There it stood in the corner... quietly waiting for its next victim beckoning for someone to use it and looking so darn innocent with it's "I just want to help" docileness.... The Treadmill (Cue scary music)... All you have to do is get on and walk... right?  Wrong!  First off, the darn thing had more buttons than my ipod! Seriously not kidding here; quick start, start, program, random, heart rate... etc... Goodness!  Let's see, start seems safe enough... whew!  (5 minutes later I am really gaining confidence) - Let's see what the random button does *Push

Moving along at a brisker pace, I can handle this... easy peasy.  Then about 5 minutes later...  all of the sudden... with NO WARNING... BAM!   Remember that whole feeling like going uphill in the snow thing... well this was going uphill in an flaming inferno!  OMG  Really?!?!?  Someone help!  The little engine that could is about to blow a gasket!  (Ironic side note:  Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive' starts playing on my ipod)  Manual... where's the Manual button?  WHERE'S the *&$# MANUAL BUTTON?!? There!  There is it... reach for it... reach... *push... sigh... OK let's set this baby at an easy steady pace...  3.5 seems safe enough.  Finished up... SURVIVED! (Take that Gloria!)

Whimper limped back to the locker rooms, trying to appear like everything's normal for my workout buddy (Thank God she was 3 machines away with ear buds on!). I then, spent a good portion of the night RESEARCHING treadmills and how they work, repenting for almost cursing out an inanimate object,  icing my aching back and nursing my wounded pride... Go me! 

How much of that is like our spiritual lives?  Seriously... (side note:  I didn't plan for this to be anything other than a "you go girl get skinny" blog - so blame the Big Guy upstairs not me)  We don't pray, we don't read our Bible or go to Church and then when we get in trouble we expect to push the "random" button and then don't like the results!!  That is why life should be lived on manual... where we are making conscious choices and not just drifting though.  I want to be just as spiritually fit as I am striving to be physically!

Issiah 40:31 seems to fit both situations!
But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run (yes even on the treadmill) and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.


2 comments:

  1. haha I love it! go Chi go!! especially the thank God she was 3 machines away..lol..keep up the good work little lady with raptar arms! Best workout song! "stronger" by Kelly Clarkson

    ReplyDelete